City Profile: Houston and Galveston


Time for the first international city profiles! Currently I am travelling abroad in the US of A road tripping west from Texas to California and you will be able to read all about my upcoming escapades in the Wild West right here."Houston, we have a problem" because you've only got 48 hours? Not to worry, I've got you covered with all the best places to visit.


Space Centre Houston


Growing up around parents born in the fifties, and raised in the sixties and seventies, I was brought up with an interest in space (and probably my love of Thunderbirds contributed to that as well). A visit to this historic location is for those who have loved the idea of space travel for many years and those who have a basic understanding or respect for NASA. The site covers a fantastic museum with various elements from across all of the missions, from Alan Shepard's first Gemini mission to the recent Space Shuttle visits to the International Space Station, there is a lot of history to uncover.

In order to see everything, the number one thing is to get there early. I drove from Galveston at 9AM  and it only took me 30 minutes, so it is not too far from Galveston and Houston. When you arrive, hop straight on the tram tour which will guide around the working site of NASA's base in Houston showing you the latest cutting edge technology which will assist NASA in their goal of travelling to Mars within the next 20 years. At the end of the tour, you will have the option to see the legendary Saturn V rocket which carried all of the Apollo astronauts around and to the Moon, and don't miss it! There is a talk on the hour every hour with a previous NASA employee who will tell you some unknown stories about the Apollo missions, he is such an interesting and engaging man so make sure you go!

After that, head over to Independence Plaza for a once in a lifetime opportunity to step aboard the Space Shuttle Independence which piggy-backs a modified Boeing 747 (!!). Having the ability to go aboard such a phenomenal piece of human history is truly awe-inspiring and well worth the trip.

Tickets available here.

The Galleria

Photograph: Visit Houston
I will be the first to admit that I am awful when it comes to spending money, I love to shop - especially since Sephora is not in the UK. If you're like me, then this is the place for you. The Galleria has over 375 shops, multiple restaurants and an ice rink (!), so I am 99.9% sure that there will be something for everyone.

I spent a lot of money...

Parks and Outdoor Spaces

Photograph: 365 Things to Do in Houston
Houston boasts many green spaces; however, my personal favourite one is Memorial Park. Situated north of the Uptown area, its vast open spaces make it extremely popular with runners (like myself!). There is a 3 mile loop which is great for running, but also for those looking to just have a nice walk as well 30 miles of hiking trails, plenty of land for playing sports, a driving range for those who fancy practising their golfing swing and cyclists can follow the numerous trails in the south-west section. There's plenty of street parking and in a large city, I find it really refreshing to unplug from the bustle of everything and unwind. 

Galveston


A getaway on the Gulf of Mexico, this seaside town offers a weekend away for the residents of Houston. I spent two nights when I first landed in the US of A to wind down after a 10 HOUR flight as being by the beach tends to be my happy place. I didn't get the chance to explore enough of Galveston to be able to recommend a lot of places and how lovely an area it is; however, the downtown area is very historical and gives you a lot of insight into how Galveston has evolved over the years. The beaches themselves are lovely but the water from the Gulf isn't the most appealing (cough oil cough), so personally I would only return for a day if I was back in Houston to check out the water park (which I didn't know exist!).

I'm now back from my three week road trip in the States so get ready for lots of city profiles and travel recommendations. Stay tuned for more travel tips, nerdy uploads, cosplay creations and more!

Here is my Twitter to see what I'm thinking and my Instagram to see my life in pictures.

- Katie

No comments